These tips from “The Home Edit” will help you organize your home.

Have you seen the show called “The Home Edit” on Netflix? If not, you need to. On the show, they share a lot of organization tips, and I am here to share a few with you today since I think they’re extremely helpful for homeowners and soon-to-be sellers: 

1. Reorganize your refrigerator. It should be obvious where an item should go; this way, the organization can be sustained. Try this in your fridge. 

2. Follow the 80/20 rule. With this, they recommend keeping your home no more than 80% full and leaving at least 20% for breathing room. This is true with your items and with decorating. For example, with a bookshelf, fill 80% of it and leave 20% empty. This will help a lot of people not feel claustrophobic. 

3. Make organizing intuitive. This will help you keep your closets and pantries clean, but the organization has to be intuitive and user-friendly for all ages. If you have a beautiful goal but can’t sustain it in your day-to-day life, especially when you have a family, that isn’t going to work.

“It should be obvious where an item should go, then the organization can be sustained.”

4. Manage your clothes. This means stop storing clothes you don’t wear and swap clothes out when they’re out of season. To do that second part, you might need to find another space to store items or better utilize your basement, for example. 

5. Remember that cleaning is not the same as organizing. If you’re going to sell your home, you need to make sure you do both. This means you need to dust, vacuum, and throw stuff away, but you also need to put things in order and make sure everything has a place. 

6. Organize how you shop. Your system won’t work if you can only keep it organized until your next grocery run. Make things sustainable for how you live life. 

You can find out more about all of these tips by watching “The Home Edit” on Netflix. Until then, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to call or email me! I look forward to hearing from you.